I’ve been making this Halloween Gluten Free Recipe for years and they always go down so well at Halloween party’s or even to just have around Halloween as they are really realistic, (a bit gruesome) but taste so good ! Kids and adults love these buttery shortbread style biscuits.
If you don’t want to do gluten free ones just substitute your gluten free flour with non gluten free plain flour. If you don’t like the almond flavour then just leave it out.
200g gluten free plain flour – I use Doves Farm plus a bit extra for when rolling out the fingers
100g salted, softened butter
100g caster sugar
1 large egg
1 tsp of vanilla extract
1 tsp of almond extract (optional)
1 tsp salt
whole blanched almonds
1 red tube of decorator icing/gel
- In a large bowl mix together the butter, sugar, egg, vanilla and almond extract.
- Add the flour and salt to the wet mixture and beat together. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 325F conventional oven 160c, fan over 140c
- Line 2 baking tray with parchment/baking paper.
- Use a quarter of the dough at a time and keep the rest refrigerated. Use a dessert spoon size amount of dough and make sure you have some flour on your work surface to stop the dough from sticking. Make a sausage shape with the dough and shape into a finger by squeezing in the centre to make a knuckle. Press a almond in one end of the finger. Using a small knife make some slashes to create the look of the knuckle/finger.
- Place the fingers on a prepared baking tray allowing some space between each finger. Bake for 20/25 minutes or until pale and golden. Let cool for 5 minutes.
- Use the red decorating gel by squeezing some around each almond. For the drip effect squeeze a bit extra down each finger from the bottom of the almond.
- Let the biscuits fully cool.
Share this recipe